Saturday, September 24, 2016

Why don't Americans travel?

Why don't Americans travel as much as the British?



Hello everyone! Matt here again and this time I'm bringing up a subject that has only recently piqued my interest.

This past summer I worked at a camp with a group of people from Europe and other places around the world. While we worked, one subject seemed to come up a lot. Travel. Where they wanted to go after camp let out, where they had been in Europe or Asia, and where I had traveled. Sadly I could only answer with a "nowhere" to their great surprise.

"Why haven't you been anywhere? Don't you have your passport?"
To which I would also reply, "No, I don't." To their even greater surprise.

After the end of camp my new found friends proceeded to travel across the US while I visited family in the area then promptly went home. They visited Boston, NYC, Philly, Miami, Orlando, DC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Seattle, and some even traveled to Canada.

One of my closest friends and I talked about her travels as she toured the US for the second time of her life. I mentioned, "You've seen more of the US than I have." Which she responded with, "How? Why don't you travel?"

Which brings us to our question of the day: Why oh why don't Americans travel?

Before we get started you know I have to bring up some numbers.

According to Census results from 2011 83% of people from England & Wales have their passports, when only 46% of Americans have theirs.

Why is it so low in comparison?

A big reason is probably money. Flying might be the safest and fastest way to travel but it isn't the cheapest. I was looking up flights to the UK this year to see my friends I made from camp and one round trip ticket out of Cincinnati was $1400. This is outrageous! In comparison a flight from Manchester, UK to Paris, France is only $130 and a train from London is less than that.

So it's cheaper for Brits to travel. What else?

Time. American's don't have any time. Americans only having an average of 2 weeks of paid vacation when Brits have almost 6 weeks, Brits have a gap year, where  Americans move straight from high-school into college into the workforce. Leaving little opportunity for us to leave and spend time abroad.

We simply don't have the time to travel as much as others do. This in part due to the fact that the rest of Europe is closer for Brits making it easier for them to travel more frequently and to more places.

Americans don't travel abroad because we don't have the time and money. Drew from The Hungry Partier calls bullshit on these excuses for not leaving our own country, while citing more reasons for our lack of travel. But surely we travel our own country right?

Not really.

My good friend that I mentioned before who traveled the US for a month asked me why I haven't personally seen more of the US. And frankly the same reasons apply. Time and Money.

The United States of America is only 200,000 sq mi smaller than all of Europe (including Alaska). There's a lot here to see and a lot of land to cover. While flights to destinations inside the US are cheaper there is still a big fee if you fly to multiple places. My friend said she spent about $5000 on her trip around the US.

Not to say American's don't travel. I know plenty of people who've been to the same places she has at least once. But I also know people that have never left their hometown. Not once in their entire lives (80 years for some of them).

Americans have a problem with leaving their comfort zone. Even to see places inside their own country. People from the south don't venture to the north. People from the east don't venture to the west. Most people from my own community have never left the county they live in. Neither have their parents, or their grandparents. Generations of people living in the same small town not seeing anything.

This seems more prevalent in more rural or southern areas and I think this has to do with their mentality. And the American mentality to the world in general. We don't want to leave our comfort zone.

Issues with other languages, issues with unsafe zones, and a lack of understanding of culture all make travelling abroad seem scary and not worth the trouble.

Now the last thing I want to touch on is Citizenship before I end. A large number of countries accept Dual/Multiple Citizenship, which means you can be the citizen of two or more countries and receive the benefits of both.

While the US does accept Dual Citizenship the government doesn't promote it to its people. In comparison in countries like Switzerland and Australia, multiple citizenship is encouraged. They want their people to travel the world and see more things beyond their borders.

Americans, not all but most, have had a very isolationist stance when it comes to the world. "It's happening over there," "It isn't our problem." "They are a world away."

And it's easy for an American to say, "I can't afford it." or "I don't have the time." and just stay in their small community. While there isn't an issue with wanting to stay in your comfort zone, having a close minded mentality towards travel and the world outside our own walls isn't healthy. Considering how interconnected the world is.

Americans of all ages should strive to see another country, and experience another culture even if it is as close as Mexico or Canada. Leaving the safety of our borders will help us grow as individuals and a community of people that cherishes its relationships with the world.

I got my passport this fall and I plan to have it filled before too long. Here's to joining the minority.

As always.

Keep reading. Keep learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment